Please click here to download as a PDF Executive Committee Meeting June 27th, 2016 Minutes Guest: Mr Jerry Stewart: Aberlour & Speyside Rotary Club (A&SR) Mr Stewart provided a background of the Local, National and International...
Please click here to download as a PDF Executive Committee Meeting May 23rd, 2016 Minutes No. Item Detail Responsibility 1 Attendees Alister Laing, Donna Canning, Grant Douglas, Stephen Hanton, Jim Hart, Isobel Henry, Sheena Ledingham 2...
Please click here to download as a PDF Executive Committee Meeting April 25th, 2016 Minutes No. Item Detail Responsibility 1 Attendees Alister Laing, Karen Braithwaite, Grant Douglas, Jim Hart, Isobel Hendry,...
Please click here to download a PDF copy of the minutes Executive Committee Meeting March 23rd 2016 Minutes No. Item Detail Responsibility 1 Attendees Alister Laing, Karen Braithwaite, Grant Douglas, Isobel Hendry,...
If you would like to receive the Archiestown Village Newsletter by email please fill in your details below and in the message body just put ‘Newsletter by email please’
Thanks a lot
Archiestown, in the parish of Knockando, was founded in 1760 by Sir Archibald Grant of Monymusk who had inherited his “Highland Estate” on his marriage. Planned villages were mushrooming in the North East of Scotland and Sir Archibald an improver, followed suit establishing it as a community of linen weavers. A fire in 1783 destroyed many of the houses.
Sir Archibald sold part of his estate to a local lad who had made his fortune in Canada and London. Robert Grant became first Laird of Wester Elchies in 1783 and lived at the mansion house. His son Charles inherited the estate and founded Charlestown of Aberlour in 1812. He died unmarried in 1828 and his brother James William became third laird, and though he was an absentee landlord who worked in India until his retirement, he cared deeply for the estate and its people. He was sympathetic towards their financial needs and provided land and materials for churches in Archiestown and Aberlour following the Disruption.
His unmarried son William continued to live at Carron House when he inherited the title as did succeeding lairds. The mansion of Wester Elchies was sold to Gordonstoun’s Kurt Hahn for a prep school and was finally demolished in the 1960s.
The last laird, Archie, died without heirs in 1951.
The village has always been a vibrant community and until recent years was pretty self-sufficient with school, church, district nurse, policeman shops, blacksmith and undertaker to tend villagers every need.
The village retains much of its original character and is a designated Conservation Village.
These days the amenities are fewer but community spirit is still strong, as can verified by the many events held within the village – the annual Fete on the third Saturday each June, the pub nights in the village hall, and many other events throughout the year. ( See Events)
The village of Archiestown was founded in 1760 by Sir Archibald Grant of Monymusk. To find out more about the Monymusk Grants please go to www.monymusk.com